A “slip and fall” does not always refer to an actual slip-and-fall accident, but to any accident that happens on somebody else’s property.

Premises liability and occupier’s liability are common terms used with respect to these accidents, since the occupier of the premises (i.e., whoever owns or controls the property) may be liable for your injuries and have an obligation to compensate you for them.

A slip-and-fall injury can be caused by a number of situations, including:

  • Icy and slippery steps
  • Wet and slippery floors, especially if there are no warning signs posted
  • Uneven floors and stairs
  • Missing or unsteady railings
  • Improperly loaded shelves
  • Bad lighting that hides hazards such as dangerous floors and debris

All of these can be caused by the occupier’s lack of proper care to maintain the property safe for the public.

Our lawyers are here to make sure that you don’t pay for someone else’s lack of proper care.

Acting Quickly To Protect Yourself

If you are injured on somebody else’s property, it’s important to get legal advice as soon as possible. Many slip-and-fall cases depend on the circumstances of the accident, including weather conditions and debris, and gathering evidence or getting witness statements may become more difficult the more time goes by.

Many areas also have limits on how long you can wait before starting legal proceedings for occupier’s liability. For instance, if you fall on municipal property you must provide written notice to the municipality within 10 days or face the possibility that you cannot bring a claim at all.

Even if you feel that your injuries are not severe and you will recover soon, it is better to speak to a lawyer immediately. Otherwise, you may wait several months, realize you are not healing as quickly as you had thought, and then find out that too much time has passed and you cannot ask for compensation.

Whether you have suffered broken bones, a head or spinal injury, or other physical damage, we can help you get compensation for all sorts of expenses. These may include health care and rehabilitation, time off work, housekeeping, personal care and care for your family if you are unable to care for them yourself.

In addition to fighting for financial compensation, our firm can also connect you to trusted professionals to help you deal with your injuries.

Contact Vice & Hunter LLP

Contacting a lawyer quickly is essential for occupier’s liability. Call us at 613-701-0898 or 866-252-0670 toll-free or fill out our online form below if you have been injured on someone else’s property in Ottawa and nearby regions of Ontario.