Personal Injury > Amputation And Disfigurement
Amputation and disfigurement both involve a permanent injury and change in your life. When determining compensation, we take into account lifelong losses and costs.
We also take into account the sensitive nature of the injuries involved, and the emotional damage that loss of a limb and permanent disfigurement can cause. Our firm works closely with counsellors, physiotherapists and other trusted professionals who understand what you are going through, and can help you adapt to your injuries.
We stand firm in our determination to ensure that your needs are met, and that your lifelong injuries are treated with the seriousness they deserve.
Amputation is considered a catastrophic injury in Ontario. This means that the cost of dealing with this injury is higher than for most other injuries.
For every client, losing a limb creates a unique situation which must be carefully considered with relation to your life and career before the injury. Loss of a hand, for example, may have a very different impact on you depending on whether you are a teacher or a professional pianist.
The personal injury lawyers at Vice & Hunter LLP will take into account
- Surgery required upon injury
- Cost of artificial limbs, if necessary
- Surgery required to install artificial limbs, particularly if the cost may be recurring, depending on the estimated lifespan and specialization of the limb
- Rehabilitation and occupational therapy
- Counselling and emotional after-effects, which may include depression, PTSD and chronic pain
- Costs of modifying your vehicle or home
- Effects on your current job and future career prospects
- Effects on your family and social life
Scarring And Disfigurement
Disfigurement is not merely about cosmetic injury; it can profoundly influence your life and career, and even your physical abilities.
Scar tissue in particular may become puckered and restrict movement, causing pain and discomfort. Many surgeries may be needed to deal with the scarring or disfigurement, which will require hospital time and rehabilitation.
We will go over compensation that you may require, including:
- Cost of surgeries
- Effects on your life and career, particularly if your career requires you to work with the public, or if appearance is important
- Costs of counselling to deal with PTSD or depression from your injury
Contact Vice & Hunter LLP
If you have suffered from amputation or disfigurement, call us at 613-701-0898 or 866-252-0670 toll-free or fill out our online form below. We serve clients in Ottawa and surrounding areas.