Employment Law: Employees > Employment Standards
As a worker you have certain basic rights, no matter where you are employed. All places of work must adhere to certain standards to ensure the protection of their employees.
Workers’ rights are upheld by courts and tribunals and guaranteed by many laws, including the Employment Standards Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If your workplace is does not respect those laws, we can help you do something about it.
If you feel that your workplace is not treating you fairly, come and talk to us. We can answer your questions, explain your rights and options, and come up with a strategy to protect your rights as an employee.
Basic Safety, Respect And Fairness
Our lawyers can help you fight for fair treatment with respect to a number of employment issues, including:
- Safety, including safety at work and while carrying out work-related functions outside of the workplace
- Harassment and workplace violence
- Payment of your wages
- Receiving equal pay for equal work
- Hours of work, breaks and overtime
- Vacations and vacation pay
- Pregnancy and parental leave
- Leave connected to family needs, illness and emergencies
- Termination rights, including notice periods and termination/severance pay after dismissal
- Rights to complain or protest your treatment at work
Often, the best solutions are to be found in negotiation and mediation, where you will try to work through problems with your employer. However, sometimes there is no way to resolve the issue, and you must go before an administrative tribunal or through the court system.
Contact Vice & Hunter LLP
Let us help you decide what to do if your workplace is not upholding proper employment standards in Ottawa and surrounding areas. Call us at 613-701-0898 or 866-252-0670 toll-free or fill out our online form below.